Saturday, September 21, 2013

Game Day Mango Salsa


Last Saturday was game day for the WOPC household, and by game day I mean board game day!  We are lucky enough to have met some folks with a love of board games that nearly equals our own and host a potluck-style brunch whenever we get the chance.  In addition to treating ourselves to several hours of gaming therapy, it also gives us a chance to try out new recipes on daring guinea pig guests.  This month, it was J's favorite: Mango Salsa.

To make my version of this deliciousness you'll need:
  • 8 oz. canned Dole Tropical Fruit, drained
  • 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 3 tsp. lime juice
  • 1 chipotle pepper
  • 1/4 medium red onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
Grab your handy-dandy food processor and all your ingredients.  This one is easy!  I use the Dole Tropical Fruit can, which is more than 8 oz., but I spoon out my fruit and tend to leave the majority of the pineapples and juice in the bottom of the can (we use those for smoothies in the morning).
 

Once I've got my chosen fruits in the processor, everything else goes in on top of them.  The processor does most of the work, although I've found that making sure the onion and bell pepper are coarsely chopped first does help.  We have a really small food processor.  Too small really to make a jar of salsa.  Instead, I make it in two smaller batches and then stir them together in the jar.  Works just as well.

Speaking of the jar, we've taken to enjoying the salsa out of an old Tostito's salsa jar.  This recipe makes an appropriate amount to fill the jar and I think we like the humor of it.


We've tried the recipe a few different ways, but this has been J's favorite.  Prior to buying the chipotle peppers, we were using Sriracha for heat.  The nice thing about the Sriracha is you can easily adjust the amount of heat you get.  The chipotle pepper offered better flavor, but the heat factor wasn't quite there.  I dare you to try your favorite spicy elements and let us know how it goes.  If you come up with a tasty variation, please share your recipe below.  J likes the spicy stuff but I can't handle it, so he has to put up with weaker salsa if he's in the sharing mood.  I'm sure he'd appreciate a couple other options to try out!

No comments:

Post a Comment